Welcome! I'm Michael Bluejay, and I'm here to share what I know about Las Vegas and gambling. With this site, you'll have the insider's edge. See my mission and what's different about this site.
Most popular stuff:
- Insider's guide to slot machines
- Free things to do in Vegas
- Gambling 101
- 10 ways to gamble smart
- List of Vegas casinos
- Is online gambling legal?
- New article: Largest casino hotels
in Vegas (by # of rooms)
- Overhauled the blackjack strategy article. It's now the best one on the whole Internet.
- Split off the info on card counting into a dedicated article, with more detail. No one summarizes as well as I do.
- New article: Blackjack trends in Vegas
- New feature: The "see what used to be there" feature of the Strip map now works on mobile.
- New article: How to stay safe in Vegas (split off from the Vegas crash course)
- New feature: Strip map now optionally highlights which properties are owned by MGM Resorts and Caesars Entertainment
- Overhauled the Is online gambling legal? article, listing all the new states that have recently legalized, and putting everything into an easy-to-browse table
- New article: Top 10 things to do in Vegas
- New article: Grand Canyon tour options
- New tool: Slot Machine Name Generator. The "Ridiculous" flavor is hilarious!
- The list of Free Things to See in Vegas is now up to 99 things.
- We finally have a Twitter account.
- New article: Worst of Vegas
- New article: What's special about each casino
- New article: Top ten free things to see in Vegas
- The list of free things to see & do in Vegas is now up to 70 things.
- Added Venetian to the Hall of Shame, for misleading about its triple-zero roulette
- New article: Vegas nickels-and-dimes you
- New article: Biggest Vegas jackpot wins
- Added a complete recipe for getting the lowest price on show tickets.
- Added 2020 company losses for the biggest casino groups in Vegas
Top 10 Las Vegas Tips
- Visit mid-week. Hotel rooms often cost three to four times as much on the weekends as during the week! Plus, with weekend crowds you'll wait in line for everything. Mid-week visitors save tons of money and have a much better time.
- Get a player's card. Go to the Player's Club desk at
any casino you visit and sign up for a free player's card, even
if you don't plan to gamble there. Then the casino will
mail you offers for discounted or even free rooms on your next
visit. You can also sign up for the MGM/Mirage
card online, which will work at 10 Vegas Strip casinos.
- Set loss limits. Make a gambling budget for each day and if you lose it, then stop playing. See 12 ways to be a smart gambler.
- Don't play slot machines. They suck your money away hand over fist. Compare $500 lost over 10 hours at 75¢/spin compared to just $40 lost at blackjack or craps @ $5 a hand. See my crash course on table games to have a much better chance of winning.
- Tip the dealers $6+/hr., and the cocktail waitresses $1 every drink or two. (more...)
- Ask for comps. When you play either slots or table games the casino will reward you with buffets, show tickets, or room discounts. Ask at the player's club booth (slot players) or at the tables (table players) for how to claim your goodies. (more on comps)
- Use the buses. Various buses go straight from the airport to the Strip and downtown. And the double-decker Deuce bus runs up and down the strip 24/7, every 15-20 minutes. See my page about the buses.
- Don't try to get taxis on the strip. Taxis can't stop directly on the strip; that's why they're passing you by. Go to the taxi area of the hotel to get one. Up to 4 people ride for the same price as 1; if there's just 2 of you, don't be afraid to yell out, "Anyone want to split a cab to [some casino]?" It doesn't just save money, it's eco-friendly.
- Walk. You'll discover stuff. When the
Strip is crowded, sometimes it's even faster than taxis or
buses. Plus, it helps work off the calories from the
- Get Half-Price Show Tickets. You can get deeply-discounted tickets for most Vegas shows at one of the several Tix4Vegas booths on the Strip and downtown. See all my tips for getting free and cheap tix.